Simon Mayor & Friends – first review

October 16th, 2023. Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Closed

Lovely review from The Wharfedale Observer for our second only gig with Simon Mayor & Friends…

Wharfedale Observer review: Simon Mayor & Friends

Interview – Psychodelic Baby Magazine

October 15th, 2023. Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Closed

Delighted my interview in the wonderfully entitled Psychodelic Baby Magazine has just been published (I used to be one such but am currently transforming into a psychodelic geriatric). It relates to my recent album ‘Carolan’ and my lockdown album with Hilary James ‘When Summer Comes Again’… CLICK HERE
Psychadelic Baby Mag.

Interview with The Mandolin World

February 6th, 2021. Posted in General, Music | Comments Closed

Here’s an interview I did with themandolinworld.com in 2019

Mandolin Café – ‘Mandolin Mondays’

May 13th, 2019. Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Closed

Rather chuffed to feature on Mandolin Café’s ‘Mandolin Mondays’ series this week.
https://bit.ly/2Hk95Q3
I’ll be in the USA summer of 2020 with Hilary James – giggin’, teachin’ and sight seein’.

John Reischman and the Jaybirds – and a mandolinists reunion.

May 3rd, 2019. Posted in General, Music | Comments Closed

Absolutely wonderful to hear John Reischman and the Jaybirds last night in Fleet – what a great band! Strange coincidence – Radim Zenkl and family came to stay and it was the first time the four of us had been in the same place since Vancouver Folk Festival in 1994. Pictured: Simon Mayor, John Reischman, Radim Zenkl, Hilary James

Kenwood Hall, Sheffield 2018

October 18th, 2018. Posted in Uncategorized | Comments Closed

Oh dear! I see my last blog was 2016; is it really that long since I posted? It’s my New Year’s resolution to do this more frequently (somebody’s New Year must start on 19th October…???) The now annual Mandolin Retreat at Kenwood Hall Hotel in Sheffield went off with a bang again a couple of weeks ago, with the resultant mandolin orchestra of 25 players sounding as sweet, if not sweeter than ever. We have many regulars at these gatherings, who enjoy not just the mandolin playing but the social side of things too. Where else do you get so many like minds in one place?!

This year threw up a surprise special guest in the form of bluegrass mandolinist Jordam Ramsey, a superb American player over on tour with his band Ragged Union and taking a few days holiday too. Jordan gave us a short tutorial on the technique of crosspicking.

Here are some videos of proceedings…

Kentucky Waltz.

Nellie The Elephant.

Jordan Ramsey discusses crosspicking

Interview with special guest Jordan Ramsey

Scarlatti Sonata

Kenwood Hall, Sheffield 2016

October 15th, 2016. Posted in General, Music | Comments Closed

“Didn’t we have a lovely time, the day we went to Kenwood!” wrote Phil Nixon afterwards. Yes we did! The hotel lived up to our expectations: comfy beds, good food, smiling and helpful staff. Twenty-five of us gathered in the magnificent setting of the Terrace Room and played our hearts out. Here are a few stills; a bigger batch can be downloaded here.

TheKenwoodGang

07-Mandolin-Retreat-2016

01-Mandolin-Retreat-2016

01-Mandolin-Retreat-2016

Halsway 2016 – retrospective

April 27th, 2016. Posted in General, Music | Comments Closed

halswayIt all turned out well in the end, but at just twenty-four hours notice, the mandolin workshop weekend I was supposed to be hosting last January was postponed due to an outbreak of norovirus at the venue, the otherwise idyllic 15th century Halsway Manor, nestling at the foot of the Quantocks in Somerset. Norovirus aside, it gave rise to symptoms of acute ‘mandolinus interruptus’ among the forty disappointed musicians who were due to attend and indulge in a weekend of group playing, nerdy chat (why not?) and a little light alcoholic refreshment. As host and tutor, it felt particularly galling as I had put in a lot of preparation arranging tunes in parts, making sure all participants had received the music and sound clips in advance and generally psyching myself up to answering questions about plectrum thicknesses, string gauges, action heights, performing in the concert with Hilary James on the Saturday night, and generally being ‘on duty’ all weekend. 

I had been at Halsway for a similar event in 2015 and had found it immensely enjoyable despite the sense of responsibility, so I was relieved when the venue suggested we reschedule for Easter weekend. I was available, but inevitably some people were not. We still managed to number about thirty, and, as before, the combined forces were sounding like a half-decent mandolin orchestra by the Sunday afternoon. The mandolins were helped by a couple of mandocellos, a liuto cantabile (an Italian five course tenor-voiced mandolin) and one participant who had travelled all the way from Belgium with mandolin, mandola and mandocello, and even played mandobass (borrowed from Hilary James) for some of the time.

If there is one thing that makes me particularly apprehensive about leading such a large group, it is that the range of abilities will almost certainly be wide. This was indeed the case; no fewer than six people described themselves as complete beginners and were just about able to run up and down a major scale, read tablature to a speed of one note per bar, all the time still feeling uncomfortable holding a plectrum. At the other end of the scale were people who were already experienced in playing in mandolin orchestras, bluegrass bands, or just very good amateurs who played at home or with friends. My previous experience had been that the beginners rise to the occasion, surprising themselves at how much they achieve as the weekend progresses. Nevertheless, I took the precaution of including one very easy part in all the tunes I arranged. Hopefully, nobody felt left out.

Nobody was expecting high French cuisine, but, as before, the food was good and the staff were a delight. In the end, despite the norovirus, a great time was had by all, and it’s in the diary again for January next year.

Marooned With A Mandolin

January 25th, 2016. Posted in Music | Comments Closed

I just dug out these MP3s of three half hour programmes I did for BBC Radio 2 back in 1996. You can listen to the full programmes here – but please bear in mind that much of the information given is now out of date.

Programme synopsis… If mandolin maestro Simon Mayor were marooned on a desert island, there’s no doubt about the one luxury he’d take. In this series of three programmes he goes in search of the origins of the mandolin, looks at what’s happening the world over, and tries to find out why players from Naples to Nashville go wild about it! The series features interviews with many of the world leading players, choice examples from disc, and some amusing anecdotes.

Marooned With A Mandolin – Programme 1 (broadcast 21st February 1996)

Marooned With A Mandolin – Programme 2 (broadcast 28th February 1996)

Marooned With A Mandolin – Programme 3 (broadcast 6th March 1996)

Back at Acoustic Magazine

January 22nd, 2016. Posted in General, Music | Comments Closed

After a couple of years break, it’s great to be contributing a mandolin column to Acoustic Magazine once again. My first offering is in the current issue (as I write), No 114. It’s an unusually slow version of the beautiful traditional tune Golden Eagle.

Requested file could not be found (error code 404). Verify the file URL specified in the shortcode.
     Golden Eagle – mandolin solo

Future columns will be in alternate issues – the even numbered ones. The magazine caters mainly for acoustic guitarists, but with nods towards other fretted instruments.