Thank you for buying Of Death And A Banana Skin.
Some of the pages feature Augmented Reality (AR). AR is new technology which allows you to bring pages in the book to life by scanning them with a tablet computer or smartphone. When the camera in your device has locked on to a page (or part of a page) it will trigger video, animations, readings or music.
We’ll be expanding the number of AR pages over the next few weeks and months. We’ll also be able to change the content from time to time. Make sure you register for the Acoustics Records Newsletter if you’d like to be kept informed.
Here’s how to get started.
1. Download the free app HP Reveal (previously called Aurasma), available for iOS and Android. Follow the instructions to create your own account.
2. Go to the settings of the operating system of your device and make sure that HP Reveal has permission to use the camera.
3. You’ll need to subscribe to my AR channel because it’s private. Open the web browser on your tablet or smartphone and visit this page:
Once there, click on the ‘Follow’ button. You may need to scroll down to find it. This will give the app permission to view the content associated with the book.
4. Return to HP Reveal and tap the blue circle at the foot of the screen. You’ll now see a centre white dot and six expanding and contracting dots around it as the app searches for a ‘trigger’. The pages of the book (or parts of the pages) act as triggers. Hold the camera over a specified area until it locks on. The page will come to life on the phone as video and audio play. Once triggered, you can move the device away from the book and the content will continue playing. Tap it once to stop at any time.
5. Bookmark this page and check back occasionally as we add more AR content.
14 – The Stick / The Middlesmoor Waltz. Live reading with music. Scan entire page.
16 – Of Death And A Banana Skin. Live reading. Scan image
20 – Bells. Animated playback of illustration. Scan text on left of page.
24 – Low Mill. Reading. Scan strip of illustration on right.
30 – The Oracle. Reading. Scan strip of illustration on right.
31 – The Oracle. Animated playback of illustration. Scan image.
33 – Queen Victoria Street. Animated playback of illustration. Scan lamp post on right of page.
39 – Sumer Is Icumen In. Song with images. Scan upper half of illustration.
42 – Black Swans. Reading with illustration. Scan the swan.
44 – Red Kite. Reading with animated playback of illustration. Scan title text.
48 – King Canute At Cleethorpes. Live reading. Scan the words ‘King Canute’ in title text.
52 – Great Expectations. Live recording of Simon and Hilary playing Handel’s Arrival Of The Queen Of Sheba. Scan title text.
57 – Limericking Eccentrics. Live reading. Scan the top limerick on page 57.
60 – Pigeon Pi. Live reading with animated playback of illustration. Scan pigeon at foot of page.
62 – Rogue And Rose. Song with animated playback of illustration. Scan the head of the rose.
68 – Across The Pond. The story of ‘The Man On The Plane’ to a live audience. Scan the title text.
80 – Fireflies. Song with animated playback of illustration. Scan all the text on the left.
This is still work in progress. Please use the contact link above to ask about availability.